You have no items in your shopping cart.
Name: Isaac Caldiero - USA
Interview By: Ben Moon January 2015
Ben MOON sent the worlds first ever 9a and you are now part of the MOON team, how will you contribute to the legacy of the MOON brand?
- To continue making ground breaking ascents as well as first ascents all over the world.
Aspirations and ambitions are key drivers for all top climbers. But how do you deal with defeat?
- Defeat is my worst enemy but it drives me to succeed. Without failure, success would seem mundane.
“Train Hard – Climb Harder” is a MOON motto. Share one of your secrets with us.
- “Be Comfortable with the Uncomfortable”
What will you change in your training regime for 2015 to improve your climbing standard?
- I will actually train! specifically one arm power and gym like power, both of which I lack.
We all say we climb for fun but be brutally honest what is really driving you?
- Being goal oriented is always been a huge driving factor in my motivation, its always fun sending your project. Also it feels good to look strong and show off my muscles in front of everybody, lol.
If you have to put a number to your ambitions for 2015 what would that be and are you raising the bar enough to be uncomfortable?
8C bloc, and 8c+ route are my nemesis and finally this year I will raise the bar in my training and dominate my projects.
What is important? To achieve a new grade this year or send a long standing project?
- Achieving a new grade is always exciting but I think it would be more meaningful to send a long standing project. Grades are always changing anyways. When you send something hard it most likely will get downgraded in the end.
Progressing in climbing is impossible with out some sacrifice’s, what is going to have to take a back seat in 2015 in order for you to make that goal happen?
- I need to not be so stubborn and actually climb/train indoors, also I will sacrifice eating delicious unhealthy foods(stop being a FATTY) and take my diet more seriously. I feel like those two things combined will have a huge effect.
What will you do in 2015 to help inspire those who follow MOON?
-I will continue to be at the fore front of developing new climbing areas all over the world.
We all follow climbing gossip and news. What inspired you in 2014 and what pissed you off in 2014?
-All the ladies stepping it up a notch and climbing new hard grades that had never been done before. Women claiming FFA’s is bothersome and has turned into a new trend. Its equally as impressive to say I repeated it like everyone else.
Ok its time to have an opinion. Is it ok to improve the style of a climb and shop off bolts on a route with out asking the FA for permission (given you sent it on natural gear)?
- I don’t think that would improve the style of the climb because the damage to the rock has already been done and leaving ugly remains of bolts is worse then bolts that still have a use. Hardware is expensive and bolting is a lot of hard work and time. To go and just get rid of someones vision because you think your vision is better is a bit extreme and I think you should definitely ask for permission. Also it leaves the next climber with the option of how they want to make an ascent. Bolts or Gear?
Tell us what you think will be your most ambitious and inspiring projects for 2015.
- Apart from winning American Ninja Warrior, I have a load of amazing sandstone projects calling my name in the deserts of Utah, I won’t specifically say where but if you come out I can show you.
Tell us what is the most hyped route or boulder you ever climbed that was actually just hyped and not at all that good or as hard as perceived?
-Right Martini 8a+ in Hueco, kind of a turdy lil traverse line with a chossy topout.
Suggest a few routes or problems you think any climber with some self- respect should have on their bucket list.
- Deliverance(7B+/Peak District), Karma(8A/Font.), Luminance(7C+/Buttermilks), Black Lung(8B/Joe’s Valley)
- Moon for me is the essence of strength, success and historical ascents. I want to be apart of these amazing things and continue the wave that Ben started back when I was still a wee lad. Also the Cypher Pants make my butt look sooo good!!!