You have no items in your shopping cart.
Name: Sandra Bakulic - Croatia
Interview: Moon Climbing / January 2015
Ben MOON sent the worlds first ever 9a and you are now part of the MOON team, how will you contribute to the legacy of the MOON brand?
- Basically it is about living honest climbing life and trying to climb the best I can. I am proud and lucky to be part of this great team which beside world class climbers also includes mostly unknown local heroes.
Aspirations and ambitions are key drivers for all top climbers. But how do you deal with defeat?
- Defeat is part of the game. The sooner you learn to accept it, the better it is for you.
“Train Hard – Climb Harder” is a MOON motto. Share one of your secrets with us.
- Add some rest in between this two. That’s the secret!
What will you change in your training regime for 2015 to improve your climbing standard?
- I will try to mix different climbing styles as much as possible. As I wrote in my last blog “Less is more”, I think this is the way to go for me.
We all say we climb for fun but be brutally honest what is really driving you?
- Climbing is my way of life. Sometimes it is about rock trips, friends, nature, sometimes it is about training and reaching some goals probably because I want to prove to myself that I can do it. This whole package is driving me.
If you have to put a number to your ambitions for 2015 what would that be and are you raising the bar enough to be uncomfortable?
- I would like to climb some proper 8b. Yes, I feel uncomfortable about it.
What is important? To achieve a new grade this year or send a long standing project?
- Sometimes reaching a new grade may not be realistic measure of progression. Long standing projects are the must.
Progressing in climbing is impossible with out some sacrifice’s, what is going to have to take a back seat in 2015 in order for you to make that goal happen?
- House cleaning!
What will you do in 2015 to help inspire those who follow MOON?
- Hope I will show some good climbing and try to inspire mothers and wives who work fulltime and are weekend warriors , like myself, to get outside and do the same.
We all follow climbing gossip and news. What inspired you in 2014 and what pissed you off in 2014?
- The most inspiring thing was opening of our new climbing gym PC Marulianus in Split. Few years ago we could just imagine training spot like this one in our city. Too much rain definitely pissed me off in 2014., but I am trying to accept it. The climate is changing…no more tufa projects.
Tell us what you think will be your most ambitious and inspiring projects for 2015.
- I plan to visit Fontainbleau with my family in a few months. This will be my first time in the forest and I believe it will be inspiring trip. The most ambitious project will be to tick some old projects around my home crags.
Tell us what is the most hyped route or boulder you ever climbed that was actually just hyped and not at all that good or as hard as perceived?
- I can’t remember any concrete route or boulder right now but I can give an example of the crag like Mišja peč in Slovenia. On a first visit I didn’t really understand what was the hype all about because everything was so polished and dirty from shoes rubber that I almost didn’t have motivation to climb at all. Than later, after few years and numerous visits I realised how many great classic routes this area offers and now it is one of my favourite crags (when it is not crowded!). Anyway there is a lot of hype in climbing community about this and that but we have to think with our own head and sometimes also give another chance to the routes/crags which didn’t leave the best impression on a first glance.
Suggest a few routes or problems you think any climber with some self-respect should have on their bucket list.
- Talking about my local areas, I would recommend; sport route – Marulianus (7c/c+) on Marjan, boulder – Jaka Kila (Font 7B) in Sućurac, a multi pitch called “The secret of Cetina” (6c/300m) in Omiš and deep water solo – Zabluda (7a) at Sustipan area. We have it all here…
Simply – 100% climbing!