You have no items in your shopping cart.
Name: Bernhard Fiedler - Austria
Interview: Moon Climbing / January 2015
Ben MOON sent the worlds first ever 9a and you are now part of the MOON team, how will you contribute to the legacy of the MOON brand?
- I need to climb 9a for gods sake! My approach to climbing hard stuff is quite simple: Training my ass off, cranking as hard as possible and keeping the style on a high level sums it pretty much up. Smart, directed action together with an open mind is a desirable attitude in modern climbing. So I do my best to match with that in order to represent Moon properly.
Aspirations and ambitions are key drivers for all top climbers. But how do you deal with defeat?
- When I try a Route or a Boulder several times, several days, or even longer, a happy end of the story DOES matter to me. In the moment of failure, the energy, which was meant for the send, unloads in an aggressive shout. But no worries, its just one or two (maybe three) second until my brain starts working again, putting subjects in relation to others. When there is no happy ending, I try to rewrite the story in the gym and maybe one day….
“Train Hard – Climb Harder” is a MOON motto. Share one of your secrets with us.
- Put the focus on your trunk musculature. (30 minutes, various exercises, almost no rests) campustraining and onearm pull-ups, etc. are great and should never be skipped, but…. Your centre needs to be in shape in order to bring your campuspower on the rock. The pros are: 1) you will climb harder 2) you can train everyday 3) the rest of your training will feels like holidays 4) your spine will always be protected 5) it´s good for the ladies
What will you change in your training regime for 2015 to improve your climbing standard?
- Reduce fastfood-meals / improve my shoulder-stability / waking up earlier
We all say we climb for fun but be brutally honest what is really driving you?
- Two things: The desire to loose myself and the desire to be loved!
If you have to put a number to your ambitions for 2015 what would that be and are you raising the bar enough to be uncomfortable?
- While training I push my body to an uncomfortable, sometimes even painful level. While recovering I do my best to treat my body in an opposite way. Kind of a carrot and stick approach
What is important? To achieve a new grade this year or send a long standing project?
- Although I would love to drop big numbers, my heart is with my projects. I choose them by beauty and difficulty.
Progressing in climbing is impossible with out some sacrifices, what is going to have to take a back seat in 2015 in order for you to make that goal happen?
- Repeat after me: I will NOT take a proper Job!
What will you do in 2015 to help inspire those who follow MOON?
- I am planning to transport my climbing action with the help of fotos, videos, blogs, etc. Springtime: home projects; In July an “eurotrip” is planned. In September I will take over Argentina. The autumn month are still available for good ideas. I am 100 % psyched for 2015!
We all follow climbing gossip and news. What inspired you in 2014 and what pissed you off in 2014?
- Nalle always inspires me with his climbing. The big Lines, the sheer difficulty and his consistency are dope. Especially The sit to the Bügeleisen in the maltatal is a benchmark. And there are rumors that Klem did some incredible superhard Routes around Salzburg nobody knows about. I consider myself as a fan of those two climbers.
What piss me off are people who are pissed off frequently, just because seeing something negative is their attitude towards almost everything.
Tell us what you think will be your most ambitious and inspiring projects for 2015.
- Despite my battle with my longstanding Route-project in Salzburg, my Trip to the northwestern highlands of Argentina will be epic.
Tell us what is the most hyped route or boulder you ever climbed that was actually just hyped and not at all that good or as hard as perceived?
- When you start climbing around Vienna, almost every other crack feels like gold. What are highly overrated in rockquality are the classic areas around Arco and Finale.
Suggest a few routes or problems you think any climber with some self-respect should have on their bucket list.
- Any Route on the Taipanwall / “lock stock and two smoking barrels” in mallorca / the big 4 in cuvier rempart / at least one selfbolted line / Ammagamma / Mooiste Meisie / Bügeleisen / …
Because of love!!!